You can let Google run experiments on your ad format settings and automatically apply any improvements to your revenue or user experience.
You’ll be notified when experiments finish, and you can undo any changes made, as long as the underlying settings haven’t changed since the experiment ended.
If you’d like to review the results of the experiments first, you can choose to apply improvements manually instead.
How Auto optimize works for content ads
For content ads, Auto optimize tests new settings on 50% of your traffic.
Which content ad settings are experimented on?
Ad settings such as sizing, placements, and formats will be optimized for the best performance. Examples of this may include:
- Your Auto ads formats, and any sites where you’ve set up Auto ads
- Ad size optimization
- Native ad unit settings
Other settings, such as blocking controls or privacy settings, will not be experimented on.
How Auto optimize works for search ads
For search ads, Auto optimize tests new settings on 5% of your traffic.
Which search ad settings are experimented on?
Auto optimizes tests different layouts and features, for example, running experiments on standard templates for custom search styles.
The experiments respect the visual identity you’ve defined for your styles. AdSense will maintain the look and feel of your site while experiments are running. Auto optimize can discover better performing settings and ultimately generate more revenue.
Change your Auto optimize setting
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- Click Experiments.
- Click your current Auto optimize setting, for example, Auto optimize on.
- In the “Auto optimize” section, select an option:
- Auto optimize on (recommended)Google will run experiments on your traffic and automatically apply any improvements for you.
- Suggestions onlyGoogle will run experiments on your traffic and suggest improvements. You choose the winner and apply any improvements yourself. To do this, visit the Experiments page and click either Keep original or Apply variation, depending on the outcome of the experiment.
- Auto optimize offGoogle won’t run experiments on your traffic.
You’ll see a notification in your account when Auto optimize starts running an experiment. You’ll receive an email every time an experiment finishes and there’s a decision required from you.
Or, if you’ve allowed Google to apply improvements for you, you’ll be notified of the changes that have been applied. Learn how to change your email preferences.