Matched content is a free service that promotes relevant content from your site to your site’s visitors, and can help to increase your page views and the time your readers spend on your site.
To create a new Matched content unit:
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- Click Ads Overview.
- Click By ad unit.
- Select Matched Content.
- Use the drop-down in the upper corner of the preview area to see which of your sites are eligible for Matched content. Learn more about eligible sites.
- Give your Matched content unit a name.
- In the “Style” section, change the style of your Matched content unit to match your site.
- In the “Size” section, choose an ad size that fits your layout.
- AdSense recommends using a responsive layout. A responsive layout is different based on the width of the container and the screen size (e.g., on mobile, desktop, tablet, etc.). You can see how your Matched content unit may change in different containers by using the drag handle in the preview area.
- When using a custom size, AdSense recommends choosing an ad size with a width: height ratio of around 2:1 for a horizontal layout, or 1:2 for a vertical layout. AdSense doesn’t recommend that you use traditional banner ad sizes like the 728×90 for Matched content. Note that neither the height nor the width of your custom-size can exceed 1200 pixels, and only one dimension can be greater than 600 pixels.
- In the “Ad options” section, leave Monetize with ads switched on unless you’d prefer not to show ads in your Matched content unit.
Note: By using this feature you agree to let Google try out different ad types and optimize the number, format, and size of the ads in your Matched content unit. Learn more about showing ads in your Matched content unit.
- Click Save and get code.
- Copy and paste the ad code into the HTML source code of any of the pages on your approved site. See AdSense best practices below, for more information on placing your Matched content unit.
Tip: While your Matched content settings are propagating across AdSense systems, standard ads may serve in your Matched content unit. To avoid this, please wait 15 minutes before putting this code on your site.
Requirements and best practices
Placement of Matched content units
Matched content units work best for sites with longer content pages, such as in-depth articles, which have an associated image. Note that you can boost the performance of your ads by placing them close to your Matched content unit.