This guide shows you how to create an AMP-compatible display ad unit to show AdSense ads on your AMP pages. Note that all AdSense features (e.g., Blocking controls, Reports, etc.) support AMP ads.
Responsive ads on AMP-compatible pages perform better than non-responsive ads. Other publishers who already implemented responsive AMP ad units, see on average 45% higher RPM* compared to non-responsive ad units.
* Impression RPM, based on data from April 17 to May 17, 2019.
Create a display ad unit for your AMP pages
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- Click Ads Overview.
- Click By ad unit.
- Click Display ads.
- Give your ad unit a name. We suggest using a unique, descriptive name to help you find your ad unit later.
- In the “Ad size” section, choose the size of the ads that you’d like to show:
- We recommend you leave Responsive selected. Responsive ads automatically adapt their size to fit your page layout and your users’ devices. Learn more about the responsive behavior of display ad units.
- If you prefer to specify the size of the ads that appear on your page, select Fixed and enter the required width and height. Note that fixed sized ad units may have a limited pool of ads available, which might result in lower earnings than using responsive. For more information, see our guidelines for fixed-sized display ad units.
Tip: See examples of the most common fixed ad sizes.
- Click Save and get code.
- Click AMP.
- Copy and paste the AMP script between the
<head></head>tags of your AMP page.
This script loads the required
amp-ad libraries. You can read more about the
amp-ad component here: https://www.ampproject.org/docs/reference/components/amp-ad
- Copy and paste the AMP ad code in between the
<body></body>tags of your AMP pages where you want ads to appear. If you’re not sure how to do this, you might want to review AdSense code implementation guide.
- Click Done.
It usually takes a few minutes for ads to appear on the page but occasionally it can take up to an hour.
Track the performance of your AMP ad unit
View the Content platform report to track the performance of your AMP ad units.